Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Laptop Lance (Another Al Lebo Fairy Tale)


I've noted that, once again, I have managed to find myself in the gunsights of amateur political mudslinger Al Lebo. I am continually amazed at the lengths he will go through in order to warp reality to fit his agenda.

For example, the cutesy nickname "Laptop Lance" is probably supposed to generate feelings on the part of the reader of jealousy (Ooh, look, he can afford a laptop!), elitism (he must think he's something special because he comes to council meetings with a laptop), as well as indirectly tying me to my-laptop-was-stolen Tim Hughes and, as he has affectionately termed it, L'Affair Margiotta, in which I am famous for my missing emails (another untrue fable told often enough to sound like reality).

But let us spend a moment analyzing these little ditties of his.

Why did Lance bring a laptop to council meetings so consistently that he eventually earned the coveted Lebo Prize?

Well, it was because council meeting minutes were never produced even close to the two week limit required by the New York State Open Meetings Law, and no record whatsoever was kept of tabled legislation and other minutaie necessary in the proper functioning of a city government (what some might call a "tickler" file).

Somebody had to do it.

So, I did it.

Curiously, the number of procedural mistakes, dropped topics, passed over legislation, and other foibles of government inefficiency radically decreased after that laptop made its debut.

So, sorry Al. I'm just gonna go ahead and wear that moniker with pride.

Lance

2 comments:

Al Lebo said...

Laptop Lance refers to the disappearance of all of your subpoened emails at the same time that your mayor lost his laptop during the Margiotta proceeding in US District Court.

Quite humorous to you, yes?

Lance M. Gundersen, Sr. said...

Quite humorous? Not at all.

And the timing was nowhere near the same.

The changes made to my Frontiernet account, which inadvertantly led to a POTENTIAL loss of SOME of my emails were made roughly a year before the alleged mayoral laptop loss.

What you didn't bother to mention is that the transcript also clearly states that I turned over a thick stack of emails, and indicated that it was VERY UNLIKELY anything that previously existed was missing from that pile.

I further indicated that anything that MIGHT be missing would undoubtedly show up in emails received from Cynthia Morey (equally as thick a stack as mine).

However, for the sake of reasonableness, I did have to state for the record that it was conceivably possible that something MIGHT be missing.

I also indicated that given the obviously controversial nature of the writing contained in the emails I forwarded to Attorney Keach, no one in their right mind could ever truly accuse me of trying obstruct the process.

I still stand by that statement.

- Lance

Blog Archive


About Me

My Photo
Lance M. Gundersen, Sr.
A lot of authors and bloggers have written about living intentionally. Each define it differently, but the basic gist of the idea is to have a plan and do everything in one's power to make it a reality. My plan was to live debt-free, and then spend my time doing the things I want to do - like finishing at least a Master's in an area I can put to use in my community. I started this process with a Masters in Work and Labor Policy with an Advanced Certificate in City Administration, but then switched to a Master's in Urban Planning focusing on Bike and Pedestrian Infrastructure (and learning a fair bit about environmental planning, Brownfield redevelopment, community planning and more). I have also begun accomplishing a whole basket of cycling, sailing, hiking and personal enrichment goals which are each in various states of accomplishment. Feel free to stop by and read my musings. Comment if you like. Please be respectful, and I apologize that it's even necessary to have to say that at this stage of our existence.
View my complete profile

My Political Philosophy

While I identify myself as a Republican, like most people, I do not necessarily identify with every aspect of my party's platform.

I tend toward the Liberty Caucus of the Republican party.

http://www.rlc.org/about/

Yet, at the same time, I have a very Jeffersonian mindset regarding the rightful pre-eminence of the local political structure in everyday American Life.

Basically, I believe in limiting the Federal and State Governments, and allowing local community government, which is much closer to the people, to be the source of most of our political innovation.

Local governments are important for delivering services that might otherwise be unaffordable to individuals. Among these include Police and Fire protection, water and sewer services, trash pick-up and infrastructure maintenance, transit services, and general recreation programs (or providing the land and legal framework within which such programs can function).

Last 5 Articles (Comments)